Friday, November 10, 2017

Having a chronic illness will keep you on your toes

At the age of 20, I had a spinal cord stimulator implanted to help my RSD. A SCS is the idea of a tens unit; the difference between the two is a SCS in internal. The purpose of a SCS is to mask the pain signals before it hits the brain. Paddles and wires are implanted in my spinal cord, and a battery is placed in my lower back/hip region. What’s really cool is I have a remote that controls the stimulation, so it gives me the ability to adjust and change different sensations in different areas of my limb. The battery that is implanted has to be charged once every 2 weeks, as well as the remote. Even though the battery is rechargeable, it has to be replaced every 7-10 years. 

For the last year, I have been having issues with my stimulator battery. Lately the battery has to be charged every 2-3 days, and it does not hold a charge. The only way I can charge my battery is if I am sitting in bizzare positions. I had an appointment with my pain doctor, and 2 hours was spent trying to reprogram my SCS. After talking with my doctor and the Boston Scientific rep, it was agreed it would be in the best interest to change out my battery ASAP. 

I received a phone call on Wednesday from his office confirming  my surgery for November 15. My doctor wasn’t joking when he said he wanted this done ASAP! My SCS has helped me in so many ways, and this is a resource that I benefit from greatly. The procedure seemed simple when it was explained: open up my back, pop out the old battery, pop in a new one, sew me up and call it a day. It’s an outpatient procedure, so at least I can be comfortable at home.  It’s never easy to go through surgery, and Im not going to lie 4 surgeries in a 1 year span is intense.

 I realized that this upcoming surgery is actually a milestone; after this procedure, all the surgeries on my left leg will be done. Technically I am half way done with my surgical journey! It’s such a rewarding and satisfying feeling seeing how far I have come mentally and physically.When you can see the eye on the prize, it makes you fight harder so you can win.. Keeping an open mind can be quite challenging in the beginning, but it gets easier as time goes on. When you’re having a difficult day, think about the things you are grateful for. It could be as small as getting out of bed and taking a shower, or sitting outside getting fresh air. I could give a laundry list of everything I’m grateful for, but today I am extremely grateful I will be getting a new SCS battery. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Dystonia Awareness Month

As September is Dystonia awareness month, I’ve been sitting back and thinking about the past 3 years; all I can say is holy s*** this has ...