Saturday, October 21, 2017

Friends Love You For You

“Friends are like your backbone. They are always there when you need support” (iliketoquote.com). Friends are there for a reason, and want to help when things become difficult. When you need to cry your eyes out, sometimes you need someone to listen. There may not be anything a friend can say that will make the pain diminish completely, but knowing someone is there can help tremendously. 

I am a type of person who will drop anything for my friends, but I do not take the time to care of my emotional well-being when things become difficult. I never want to complain to others about what is going on with me physically or emotionally. I grew up learning that others do not want to hear about the negatives in your life, so I tend to focus all of my energy with on the positives; I’m learning this may not be a healthy motive all the time.

While being on the phone with a friend, I noticed I had tears rolling down my eyes. The tears were not directly related to my physical pain, but the emotional pain I haven’t processed yet. As the tears flooded out, a sense of calmness arose I felt like a weight was lifted off my chest. I continuously thanked my friend for listening to my nonsense and she replied gently: “I love you and I want to know what’s going on in your life. You’re going through more than someone should, and you have to open up to others and tell them. You can always come to me”. 

I can’t be afraid to tell people how I truly feel, otherwise I will be alone handling life situations. Friends can be great support systems, and if they really care about you, they will be there for you during the good the bad and the ugly. Sometimes you need the reassurance that it’s okay to reach out and ask for help. If friends truly care about you, they will not judge you; they only want what is in the best interest for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Dystonia Awareness Month

As September is Dystonia awareness month, I’ve been sitting back and thinking about the past 3 years; all I can say is holy s*** this has ...